Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 19: Becoming a child

Matt 18:1-5

I love that this chapter begins with the disciples fishing for compliments. "Soooo, Jesus who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" (emphasis added) I can totally relate to the little bum-kissers. I've fished for compliments from way-less worthy people than the King of the Universe. Jesus brings a small child from the crowd and sets him before them and responds:

"Assuredly I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives me."

This is about to get really personal...
As I've written previously, we have been given the beautiful opportunity to be part of a team of people planting a church here in Boulder, Colorado. We are up and running now with about 75% of our regular attendees under the age of 7. What a gift! With that gift comes some major responsibility- regular childcare. With only 8 of us able to volunteer in the nursery at this point, that leaves 6 that are not leading in the service in some capacity to take turns hanging with the kids. Two workers must be present each week, so we are on rotations every 2-3 weeks. One of my kids is in the nursery, so I say this with all respect. It is truly a tiring hour and a half of boogers, separation anxious cries, cheerio crumbs, sippy cup spills, and poopy diapers. And it is the most important role that can be filled in our church at this point. This service allows for the parents that are joining in worship to have some precious moments being filled with the Word, joining in corporate worship of the King, and making connections with fellow believers and unbelievers. Do I have this attitude about it all the time? No.

I, like the disciples, think about greatness in terms of stature, position, recognition, power, mature knowledge, and esteem from others. Jesus defines greatness as follows:
1. Becoming like a child
2. Humility like a child
3. Receiving a little child

In pondering this, I've thought a lot about my own little one. Stella has not yet formed a "mask" or a facade to put on for reputation's sake. We had a new couple over for dinner the other night and right in the middle of devouring her chicken, Stella made the announcement "I tootin!" Hahaha. No mask. Just really honest about exactly what she was feeling at the moment.

She innately trusts. At this point, she puts her trust fully in what Seth or I or her friends tell her. Which is absolutely terrifying. Her soft little heart hasn't developed any calluses that give reason not to trust everyone.

I have no difficulty receiving my own child. It's one of the greatest joys I've ever known. Receiving other's kids can be harder. Especially when they're extra stinky, dirty, or annoying. But, Jesus gives NO exception to this rule. He says that receiving little children like this means receiving Him. He doesn't say giving the most money at church, or singing the best on the worship team, or having all the right answers in Sunday school, or inviting the most people to come with you will make you greatest. These are all good things, but it isn't HIS answer to His disciples question about greatness. Are you willing to lay aside your definition of greatness to truly become great?

No comments:

Live

Live. And Live Well.BREATHE. Breathe in and Breathe deeply. Be PRESENT. Do not be past. Do not be future. Be now.On a crystal clear, breezy 70 degree day, roll down the windows and FEEL the wind against your skin. Feel the warmth of the sun.If you run, then allow those first few breaths on a cool Autumn day to FREEZE your lungs and do not just be alarmed, be ALIVE.Get knee-deep in a novel and LOSE track of time.If you bike, pedal HARD… and if you crash then crash well.Feel the SATISFACTION of a job well done—a paper well-written, a project thoroughly completed, a play well-performed.If you must wipe the snot from your 3-year old’s nose, don’t be disgusted if the Kleenex didn’t catch it all… because soon he’ll be wiping his own.If you’ve recently experienced loss, then GRIEVE. And Grieve well.At the table with friends and family, LAUGH. If you’re eating and laughing at the same time, then might as well laugh until you puke. And if you eat, then SMELL. The aromas are not impediments to your day. Steak on the grill, coffee beans freshly ground, cookies in the oven. And TASTE. Taste every ounce of flavor. Taste every ounce of friendship. Taste every ounce of Life. Because-it-is-most-definitely-a-Gift. -Kyle Lake-