Friday, August 19, 2011

Days 6: Grace experienced

Continuing on with Matt 5:38-48...
I had in mind yesterday when I wrote "to be continued" on the subject of going above and beyond in your actions towards others, that I would get to write about ways I was able to do just that. I had 2 hang-ups with that today. First of all, the very next section I read this morning reads "Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them." (Matt 6:1) Haha. In other words, don't toot your own horn. Point taken. There will be no horn-tooting here. But, I do need to sing some other people's praises. People in my life that went above and beyond today to go an extra mile with me, give more than what was asked for, and just plain blessed my socks off. Here are the examples: (I hope you all don't mind that I'm writing about this!)

1. A member of the extended family, Jon- we actually figured out yesterday that he's Seth's first cousin-once-removed- came to stay the night with us last night. Apart from being completely delightful, incredible with Stella, and not whiny at all about our 85 degree third story guest room; he treated us to some much needed fans and rugs from Home Depot for our new place. When Seth protested, He said "Nope, that's what family is for." What a GIFT.

2. My sweet friend, Ari, whom I've mentioned before, put her day on hold not once, but twice to help me unpack boxes, bring lunch and dessert, be a listening ear, and organize my kitchen. Though she has PLENTY on her plate -She is a mother of an adorable 1 year old, friend to many, constant host, and wife of our pastor at The Well (www.boulderwell.org)- she went above and beyond in showing me kindness and grace and servanthood today.

3. Another dear friend, Kim came to help me organize and refresh my wardrobe. I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant and hormonal or just plain discontent, but I stand in front of my clothes in the morning for 5 minutes becoming frustrated at my "lack of outfits." That is super dumb and is really humiliating to write, but it's true. So, Kim spent 3 hours of her afternoon off (after a particularly long week at work for her) and gave me a full on wardrobe consult. She put together amazing outfits that I never would have imagined, staged them and took pictures, and on top of all of it went and bought me a cozy gray cardigan to complete my ensemble.

My heart is full and my eyes welling as I write about the gifts given to me in just one day! This is community. This is the body of Christ being lived out towards one another before a world that is watching closely. What did I do to merit any of this? Not a thing. In the same way "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

2 comments:

Ari said...

I love you friend!! Can't wait to see the cozy new cardigan! :)

Shanna said...

Soooo precious. My extreme and unbounding thanks to your sweet friends as well. Nothing does a Mama's heart more good than to hear that her daughter is being well cared for.
Thank you Ari,
Thank you Kim.

shanna

Live

Live. And Live Well.BREATHE. Breathe in and Breathe deeply. Be PRESENT. Do not be past. Do not be future. Be now.On a crystal clear, breezy 70 degree day, roll down the windows and FEEL the wind against your skin. Feel the warmth of the sun.If you run, then allow those first few breaths on a cool Autumn day to FREEZE your lungs and do not just be alarmed, be ALIVE.Get knee-deep in a novel and LOSE track of time.If you bike, pedal HARD… and if you crash then crash well.Feel the SATISFACTION of a job well done—a paper well-written, a project thoroughly completed, a play well-performed.If you must wipe the snot from your 3-year old’s nose, don’t be disgusted if the Kleenex didn’t catch it all… because soon he’ll be wiping his own.If you’ve recently experienced loss, then GRIEVE. And Grieve well.At the table with friends and family, LAUGH. If you’re eating and laughing at the same time, then might as well laugh until you puke. And if you eat, then SMELL. The aromas are not impediments to your day. Steak on the grill, coffee beans freshly ground, cookies in the oven. And TASTE. Taste every ounce of flavor. Taste every ounce of friendship. Taste every ounce of Life. Because-it-is-most-definitely-a-Gift. -Kyle Lake-